COVID Safe businesses and organisations
COVID Safe businesses and organisations have:
- a comprehensive COVID-19 Safety Plan in place
- registered as COVID Safe.
COVID Safe businesses and organisations are easily recognised by the blue tick badge displayed on their premises or online.
Registration is quick and easy and it shows customers that you’re committed to their safety. Registered businesses and organisations get:
- a digital COVID Safe badge for use on Google and social channels
- a print ready COVID Safe badge file for use as a poster or sticker on your shop front/high traffic areas
- posters on safety and hygiene
- reports on how your customers and visitors rate your business.
For some types of businesses and organisations, it is mandatory to register as COVID Safe under the Public Health Orders.
These businesses are:
- hospitality venues (restaurants, cafes, pubs, clubs, small bars, cellar doors, breweries, distilleries, karaoke bars and casinos)
- funeral homes and crematoria
- places of public worship.
Other businesses and organisations are encouraged to register as COVID Safe to show their customers and visitors that they are keeping up the highest standards to prevent COVID-19 transmission.
COVID-19 Safety Plans
COVID-19 Safety Plans are comprehensive checklists designed by NSW Health and approved by the Chief Health Officer.
The plans provide clear directions on how businesses and organisations should fulfil their obligations under Public Health Orders to minimise risk of transmission of COVID-19 on their premises.
Businesses and organisations should review the COVID-19 Safety Plan for their industry to see if completing a plan and registering is compulsory under Public Health Orders.
All other businesses and organisations are encouraged to complete a COVID-19 Safety Plan voluntarily.
Penalties for breaching public health orders
Under the Public Health Orders it is mandatory for some types of business to complete a COVID-19 Safety Plan and register as a COVID Safe business. For other types of business it is mandatory to have a COVID-19 Safety Plan, and optional to register.
See the COVID-19 Safety Plan for your industry for details.
Authorised Officers are making inspections of businesses to check compliance with Safety Plans and are able to issue on-the-spot fines.
Penalties for breaching Public Health Orders range up to $55,000, with a further $27,500 penalty possible for each day an offence continues.
For repeated non-compliance, businesses may be shut down for periods of up to a month.
Help with your COVID-19 Safety Plan
Last updated: 23 October 2020